Samsung S4 – It’s Out
All this wait and finally this phone is out and it hasn’t changed too much in the looks department but the guts of the phone looks very impressive, its packing a punch. I think Samsung is taking a page out of Apple’s book, the design is fine but they did a major upgrade on the internal parts of the device. They are aiming to release it towards the end of April and knowing what happened last time, these are going to sell out quickly.
Samsung S4 Specifications:
- 5 inch Full HD Super AMOLED (1920 x 1080) display, 441 ppi
- 1.9 GHz quad-core processor or 1.6 GHz octa-core processor (depending on market)
- 2GB RAM
- 16/ 32/ 64 GB internal storage, microSD slot
- Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)
- 2.5G (GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE): 850/900/1800/1900 MHz; 3G (HSPA+ 42Mbps): 850/900/1900/2100 MHz; 4G (LTE Cat 3 100/50Mbps) : up to 6 different band sets (dependent on market)
- 13 Mega pixel auto focus rear camera with flash and zero shutter lag, BIS
- 2 Mega pixel front camera, full HD recording @30fps with zero shutter lag, BIS
- Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- GPS / GLONASS
- NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, IR LED, MHL 2.0
- 2,600 mAh battery
What I like about the Hardware:
- One hell of a camera!
- Powerful CPU
- Comes with Android 4.2.2
- 2,600 mAh battery, so it will last a bit longer, which is more then the S3
- Up to 64GB Memory
- Has a MicroSD Slot, very few phones seem to have that these days
- This time they made it in black, not blue!
- With all those new hardware features and a bigger battery, its still ligher then the Samsung S3
What I Don’t like About the Hardware
- Why is the LTE based on location, why don’t they have a multiband LTE like they do for the 3G/2G so it can work across all networks not just LTE in one region or another.
I would like to talk about the camera since that is a feature which is essential to our media dependent lives and the ability to share pictures in all directions. Now this is an interesting features, the dual-camera setup on the S4 can be used in video chat like everyone else and photographs, so a pic of you and what you have your camera pointed at, and the camera as mentioned about in the Specs is 13MP which is very impressive, the S3 camera was great, this one looks to be even better. They even took features from the Samsung Galaxy Camera and set it up with the S4 which is a smart move on their part.
You have several choices from the new Android Devices that are coming out:
- Samsung S4
- HTC One
- Sony Xperia Z
My opinion is that Sony makes good looking devices, but the OS is always lacking something and they NEVER update their phone, and that makes a huge difference, if you really like it then get, but other then that I would go with either the HTC One or the Samsung S4. If you like HTC then you will love the HTC One, very solid build, and they really worked on the software this time around. And Samsung as usual has come out with the full featured monster. If I had to describe HTC and Samsung’s software philosophies in a single sentence, it’d be this: HTC puts more emphasis on design, whereas Samsung packs in more features. Overall I love the metal design of the HTC One over the Samsung S4, but I like the camera use of the S4. When it comes down to these two its a matter of preference.