content top

The Accident

A little over a month ago I was driving on the inside of Mishref going to the NBK by the co-op. Its an internal road leading to it, two lane going and two lane coming. As I was driving down on a Saturday morning at around 8:15 am, I just needed to get some cash to pay for a few things and they have a drive through ATM. I was going about 30 kph, not in a hurry to get anywhere since I had only a few things to finish in the morning.

I could see the coop on the left side of the road about 300 meters down, and about 30 meters ahead there is a U-turn coming around. There was a Nissan Patrol on the other side of the road as I was driving, at that point I’m about 10 meters form oncoming u-turn when the car turns into the u-turn, and I thought that the person would stop, but I was completely wrong, the car continued and at this point I was traveling at 30 kph with about 7 meters from the U-turn and I slammed the brakes and made a hard right to avoid the car. I thought I could cut into the second lane but this lady went right through and I hit her car’s front end, I went on the garden of the first house went through the bushes to end up in the drive way of the second house. I was fine, the airbag didn’t come out, I was angry, very angry, I tried opening my door but because my left fender was pushed back I had to kick out my left door to get out.

I took a look at my car and I was devastated, my car was very damaged, but hamdilla I was fine. I called 777 then remembered it was 112 and reported the accident, they said go to a police station, I told them my car is not moveable and we need a police officer urgently. I was very very angry and tried calming myself, what kind of idiot would make a u-turn without stopping with a clear view of an oncoming car within a 7 meters of the u-turn and not even trying avoid me when she looked. The front left side of my Landcruiser was damaged and I hit her right fender and tire. The funner part is that my front bumper was coming off but the paint wasn’t damaged because of the Huperoptik protection on it.

(This is a very long story)

I took a picture of the road, my car and her car, and then I went to approach her. And I saw a woman put down the window and she said in a very vulgar way that she is sorry she didn’t see me, her friend (who was sitting next to her) was talking to her and she just came from the Emirates. This woman looked like she was a lady of the night, she had make up on her which made her look ghost white and green contact lenses. They both wore very short dresses even though the other one had a hijab on, it looked like they just left a party at weren’t fully aware.

She told me she is sorry and she is married to a very promiment person in government and can fix my car. I told her if she wanted to call an ambulance she said no need, and no need to call the police. I told her the police are on their way and we will have this resolved soon. At this point I was very angry, they were grown women and honestly disgusted me with their manner, I tried to keep my cool without blowing up. I told her that all I want is a police report to get my car fixed by insurance. She wasn’t too happy that a police officer was on the way. I called my friend who lives 5 minutes away and I know he has work on Saturdays so he would be awake, he was having breakfast and came right over.

The police came after about 15 minutes which is pretty good, I spoke to the man and gave him the details and information about the accident. He was very straight forward, took my registration and license, looked at my car then headed over to her car and get information. After finishing with his questions the police officer told me that she doesn’t want to go to the police station, but he told her that this man wants his insurance forms and knows his rights, and wants everything done through the insepctor. Then a Cayanne S came and a guy walked out and walked to their car first, then he came to us and asked who is the guy she hit, and I asked are you her husband, he said no she is a friend, the guy looked like he had about 2 kilos of gel in his hair and just sobering up.

At this point I was very pissed and wanted to get the paper work done and over with. The guy asked to speak to me alone and he said he can have the police paperwork for me and no need for them to go to the police station, talking to me like we are making a back room deal. I told him if this was a scratch then I’m fine with leaving, but both cars aren’t moving and I have full insurance and the police station is 5 minutes away. Something seemed very wrong and the last thing I would do is trust this guy or the woman.

The police officer came back to me and told me that she doesn’t have a car registration form but he took her license and said to bring the cars to the Bayan Police Station. The police officer called and said the inspector was there and he would be able to see us right away. Then this guy said he would take the girls home and see how he would take the girls there, I said thats not going to happen, she hit me so she has to be there and no one else. He then said there are no tow trucks to get the cars there, I made a few phone calls and had two tow trucks on the way and take the cars to the police station. I was giving this man very little options to get out of this and I really didn’t like what he was trying to do. My friend was already on the phone with the tow truck guy telling him where to go, so about 20 more minutes the car got there and we had both cars on the tow trucks.

I told the guy that I would meet them at the Police Station, and I got in the car with my friend. When we both got there, the inspector hadn’t arrived yet but he is on the way. The police officer was giving them the paperwork he filled out earlier. The guy said he will come back later since the inspector isn’t here, I told him that we should wait and get this over with but he really wanted to go. So he left and it was 9:30 am by then, and I waited a bit and the inspector was there by 9:50 am, I expalined to him that I was traveling the next day and the whole situation. We tried calling the guy but he wouldn’t pick up, then the inspector called him and he said he will come by at 4:00 pm so I said I will be back then. When I came then the guy didn’t come and the inspector was pissed, he tried calling him but he wouldn’t answer. At this point the inspector took down my information and my side of the story and said he would get back to me. I left the next day, and for four days that guy and woman weren’t going to the inspector. So then the inspector called me and said I can take the form needed to fix the car, and after looking into them, the woman had 7 lawsuits (qatheyas) criminal & civil against her and the guy even more, at that point he issued a warrant for her arrest if she didn’t sign within the next 48 hours.

At that point I asked the tow guy to take the car to Toyota to get it fixed, now my Landcruiser is fixed, and I put on the Huperoptik protection right away but I still had a few kinks to work out of the car. The one car that I realized that I can’t really live without is the Landcruiser, it felt like I missing something and half the time I could drive the way I wanted go across a dirt road, it felt very strange to not have it around for a few weeks. It took about a week to get the form to fix the car and I hated that my car was damaged sitting in a police station parking lot and I couldn’t fix it, but after taking it in it took about three weeks to get it all fixed it up.