ADSL Modem Switch

I have been thinking about switching my current ADSL modem to something simpler. I had a problem with the ADSL Linksys modem from Zaijil, it kept disconnecting, so I upgraded it to a Cisco ADSL Modem, and used the D-Link Router as the DHCP and main connection of that network.

The one problem I am facing is that I am unable to pass through the public IP Address from the Cisco Modem to the D-Link Modem. I want to access the servers through the DYDNS website, and haven’t been able to due to this hiccup.

I have recently gotten my hands on a Belkin ADSL Modem, with decent reviews. So I am planning on using it as the main connection and DHCP modem for the network, and I can use DYDNS with this modem to access my network. The one thing about the Cisco modem is that it hasn’t had any problem what so ever since installing it, the only problem I have with it is that you have to have a Cisco Certificate to even think of configuring the damn thing.

After plugging the telephone cable in the Belkin ADSL modem, I called KEMS to get the information, turns out they login through PPoA and not PPoE, and I got the VPI/VI numbers needed. As soon as that was done, the router restarted and within a minute it was connected to the internet. Of course during configuration it was wired to the laptop. After that I disconnected the D-Link Router which is performed perfectly, finally removed the Netgear Dual Wan Router which has operated as a heat sink for me and nothing else, then I disconnected the Cisco ADSL modem. One thing for sure is that the Cisco modem is extremely dependable, but difficult to manage for a layman such as myself. I was having a few problems connecting the wireless but after restarting it, the laptop connected fine. I was hoping that I didn’t need to restart the machines, but I knew I would. So I restarted the WHS servers, but first I shut them down, cleaned them out with a dust blow which turned into its out little mini dust storm in the room, connected the main WHS server to the UPS and powered it back up correctly. After going through this whole process which took about two hours to make sure everything is connected, I was satisfied with the results.